Politics and the President's Own

First of all, I happened to feel well enough to go to band the day after I wrote that "I'm a sicko".....

I called my band director the morning of the first day and he told me to feel better. I came in time for the first rehearsal. Needless to say, I blew too much air to feel if my sinuses were uncomfortable or not.

We practiced from Friday afternoon until evening, all day Saturday, and one 90 minute rehearsal on Sunday. The inside of my lip had a dent in it by the time I was done. It literally felt like it was going to cut open at any moment (that is probably an exaggeration)! I play the E-flat piccolo clarinet for most of our pieces, which requires more mouth muscles. I do like the shrill runs I have to play, they are obnoxious and sound like a dog whistle sometimes!

                                          (This is the E-flat clarinet, isn't it tiny?!)

As the Liberty University Wind Symphony, we play modern, contemporary advanced music for wind band. We play the newest pieces by composers like John Mackey and Eric Whitacre. This year, we were selected to perform at CBDNA (College Band Directors National Association) in South Carolina when we go on tour in February! I am excited! (We are also playing in Nashville and Savannah, Georgia!)

One of the pieces we are playing (and which I am playing on regular B-flat clarinet), is called "For the President's Own" by John Williams. It was originally written for the United States Marine band. It frequently changes meter and is very brassy and militant.

And now for a different event today. Donald Trump came and visited our event center. I had to go through security and only took my gloves, my ID, and my camera. I didn't want them searching and patting me down for 5 minutes.


 It was very interesting listening to him. He talked about how America needs to get back on track by not spending so much money!

I liked how he said he would create jobs so that college students like me will graduate and get a real job instead of being unemployed or working a low-key job!


 This will be my first presidential election to vote in. In 2012, when Mitt Romney was running, I was only 17. I remember registering to vote on my 18th birthday in 2013 and being so happy!


I don't watch a lot of politics on TV or listen to it on the radio or follow it online. Politics in the media is very dramatized and rude and to me it looks like a reality show or a soap opera. The voter guide tells me the common sense stuff I actually need to know when I go vote.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness