AI Is Destroying Our World Part 2: Making Decisions For Us, No Human Beings on the Phone, Algorithms deciding on a fate

 

                                                               Photo Credit: Tara Winstead from Pexels

 In the last post I discussed the number one reason why I think AI is detrimental to our world, and how I am afraid if people don't see what is going on that it will eventually push art and music, along with intelligent writing, into antiquity. Now I will discuss something else that bothers me about AI, and how people are in favor of it running the show in other ways. 

I am tired of calling a company on the phone and getting a robot on the other end. It tries so desperately to sound like a person, but it fails miserably. It says things like, "I can help you with ____. Just speak to me like you would a person." If you don't speak loudly enough, it says, "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that." Then it repeats the question so robotically and is a pain to deal with. It now takes a long pathway of searching to find the customer service number, and you must stay on the line and do nothing to get to a human being. The said company has now hardwired the phone so that you must follow a maze to get to a person. 

AI does not help the customer either and since it isn't human, it doesn't try to help humans the way humans would. My car insurance was cancelled due to an AI algorithm. In the dozen years that I have been a licensed driver, I have had no moving violations or tickets, and the only two accidents I have had were never worse than a fender-bender, if that. One day I got a letter in the mail from the insurance company saying they were cancelling my insurance due to these two minor incidents, and that I was too high of a risk for them to continue to insure me. No joke! There was nothing that could be done to get the insurance back. The robots were in charge. No longer is our world thinking about people in their individual situations, if the computer notices a certain number of abnormalities, BAM, that person's gone. It cannot be resolved with human beings simply talking to each other and reasoning issues out. And people are for it? 

 If the Google bot decides that a review looks fake, even though it is not, it will not be published, even if it is reasonably and politely done with genuine intent and sounds professional. Sometimes it is best to not include your name in a review, for safety reasons, and because some people don't want the whole world to know where they have been, or something happened and they don't want the public, or company, to know who made the complaint if it is a bad review. Is this the society we want to be in charge of the world?

What do you think? Am I the only one who thinks we should push pause on the technology world before it eradicates our intelligence? Stay tuned. 

 The Quiet Girl



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness