Welcome Home, Shadowfax Luna!

Many of you know that my precious cat, Polly Esther, passed away on June 3rd of natural causes. I miss her to this day.


I knew, sooner or later, that I wanted to adopt another cat when the time was right. Little did I know that time would come so soon.

I had always wanted to adopt a black cat some time in my life. First of all, I like the way black cats look. I feel they are very understated, but then they are very mysterious and enchanting once you get to know one. Second of all, they are the last to be adopted and the first to be euthanized. Why should people still be superstitious, especially in this scientific 21st century? Why would people pass black cats over in favor of a more "exciting looking" colorful cat? Also, I have read that people "adopt" black cats to use as costume accessories, only to dump them or return them to the shelters after halloween! Nobody needs to be reminded of what occult groups have done with black cats. This is all pure evil if you ask me. It makes me want to cry or throw something. I wanted to adopt a cat that nobody wanted. All cats need a good human, correct? Lastly, I did go through a goth phase earlier in my life. I will always enjoy a little bit of alternative in my life, as it is part of what plays into my creativity. I believe black cats are very alternative in a good way.

I began looking on Petfinder, Adopt A Pet, and even Craigslist. I didn't want to be catless for long. When I returned to my apartment after Father's day, my mom and sister sent me pictures of adoptable cats in the area. They were all adults, which I preferred, because that way I wouldn't have to train a kitten to use the litter box and have the risk of excessive cat pee.

Then I decided on a name. If I adopted a boy, his name would be Salem Bagheera, after Salem Saberhagen from Sabrina the Teenage Witch (and because I live near a town called Salem) and Bagheera the wild black panther from the Jungle Book, a childhood favorite movie of mine. If I adopted a girl, her name would be Bathsheba Onyx. I always thought Bathsheba would be a good cat name because cats enjoy bathing in public, especially on decks and rooftops!

I found a black cat online named Shadowfax. She looked sad, lonely, and very shy. She also looked very cute. She was in a Petsmart nearby. My mom was headed in the direction of the store one day not long after that, so she took my sister with her so they could look at her. They sent me pictures and told me all about her personality: she was shy, but she came up to them when she knew they wanted to give her attention. She enjoyed being petted by my sister. They told me she would be a good cat for me.


The very next day, I called the adoption center and the pet store, as I had to go to work the following week with no guarantee of when I would be available to pick up this cat. Today would be very convenient to do the adoption. The pet store told me that I could certainly try. I had nothing else on my plate that day, so I drove for an hour just to see if I could pick her up. I stopped on the way to get cat food and supplies, knowing that if things didn't work out today, I could have the supplies with me should I need to come back on a later day. I filled out the application form when I arrived, dropped it off, and left. 10 minutes into the drive, I got a phone call stating that if I could show them a copy of my lease with Polly's name on it, they could approve my adoption application that day. I had taken the lease papers just in case for that reason. So I turned around and went back. I took Polly's old carrier into the store with me, and using the coupons they gave me, I bought a purple, Halloween-looking collar for Shadowfax to wear. I showed them my lease, and they immediately put Shadowfax in the carrier and we were on our way. I decided to keep her name, because she was 4 years old, owner surrendered, and I just liked the sound of her name. Plus, Shadowfax is the name of a horse from Lord of the Rings! How cool is that?


Unlike Polly, Shadowfax said nothing during the car ride home. She did meow at me with great concern as I walked out of the store. "Congratulations!" a man in the parking lot said to me as I loaded Shadowfax in the car. As I pulled out of the parking lot, she looked up at me with her mystical green eyes as she finished her conversation. She sat there while I put my hand in the carrier and pet her. She purred.


She enjoys hiding under my bed and even under my dresser. She paws at me as a way to show affection. She also paws at my guitar. Maybe I will teach her to play someday. She has slowly become less shy and has been more frequently sleeping on top of the bed rather than under the bed. She has not scratched or bitten me once! She is a calm, quiet, and very introverted kitty.

I can truly say that I have good luck because a black cat crossed my path and I took her home! She will live a long, lucky life with me. I love you, Shadowfax!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness