Are Passwords Really THAT Big of a Deal? And Some Thoughts on Phone Usage

 I'm no technological expert (except for recording and live sound, things like that, then I am), but even in this modern world, there comes a point where you have to combine being safe with making things accessible to the average Joe. 

 I understand having a good password to log in to different things such as your email account or your Facebook or Instagram. What frustrates me is how websites are increasingly making it difficult to make a decent password you can remember, and sometimes now requiring special characters such as these: !%^&*.  Often it may take one several times, and the computer rejecting your making up a password for the fifth or sixth time, and inside you are screaming, "I'm just trying to make up a password for this simple email account. Why?" I would understand if this is required for your bank account, but in instances such as a simple, recreational website or regular email account, this is going too far. I just want to enter the username and a simple password ONCE, and be able to check my email as needed. I also wish that all websites would make it so that if you forget your password, you can just receive an email where you can reset it if needed, not lock you out after several attempts. I have failed to be able to pay bills or check my email or post my music because of this "lock out" feature, and to me it makes it unaccessible to the person who owns the account, especially when they only log in monthly or have come home after a long day and can't remember. Humans make mistakes. I think as long as the password is not a common word, and you add some numbers in there and it's not something that's guessed easily, you'll be fine.

 
At one point, I had an email which was defaultly set to 2-step verification, and I did not know it. When I went to log onto my email, it then sent a text message to my phone and asked me to verify using a verification code. This is going way too far. I had to do this several times, and then it took me several Internet pages later and several rabbit holes and some fine print text to finally disable it. 2-step verification is, in my opinion, not only an extra unneeded step requiring extra unneeded time to login, it adds unnecessary stress that you don't want to see popping up on your phone every time you go to log in. I really wish 2-step verification would stop being pushed towards becoming the norm. I hope it doesn't. I hope there will always be the option for just a username and a password, and that's it. 

 


I really don't want to be attached at the hip to my phone every time I try to log in separately on my laptop or my Mac. I don't think it is healthy. It's weird to hear this, coming from me as a product of the late '90s who doesn't remember or was not in existence during a time when there was no Internet, but in my opinion, to always be checking your phone each and every minute is stressful and unhealthy. I also think it is unproductive, for me it keeps me from being creative and doing things I like to do without worrying about how many people will or will not like it on social media. There's also a phone software you can download where you can see who is at the door. I understand being able to see from the other end of the house, but I really don't want to be checking my phone every time someone is at the door either. Again, that adds unnecessary notifications and worry to my life, when I pick up my phone I automatically think of everything else going on that I need to take a break from. In that case, I would rather do things the old-fashioned way, provided it is safe to do so, in which case most of the time, it is. I do desire to interact with friends and people I care about, and post things I care about, such as my music, and support others in their music and endeavors online, however, keeping up with every junk mail notification and hearing the constant "beep, boop, buzz" on the phone every 5 minutes is tiring. 

What are your opinions on all this? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness