Being Frugal: I Only Pay for the Shipping I Need!

 


I stumbled on a Facebook post about how people today complain frequently and how we need to be more optimistic. I mostly post things that are funny and lighthearted, such as my music or my cat, not serious posts. However, the line that caught my attention was about "a boy born in 1995 and in 2020 at age 25 complains because his Amazon package doesn't arrive in 48 hours...." While this is not what the post is about, I want to focus on this line and what I like to do to save money, especially while buying things online. 

I was born in 1995, and at 25 do not have Amazon Prime or buy online primarily from Amazon. I recently learned about how due to Amazon's Prime shipping market, 2-day shipping is what many people have come to expect. As a person without a spouse or family to support, only my cat, I do not buy enough online at a time to need Amazon Prime, or that meets the $25 needed for free shipping. Often I find lower prices for the same items on eBay or at the store. I would be paying more for the shipping service than what I actually use. Also, this can be an enticement to buy things I don't really need, and spend money I could've kept in my wallet. I would rather pay the lower price and wait for 7 days than pay more for 2 day shipping. 

I do think Amazon is beneficial for families who do most of their shopping online, or who buy in bulk. Maybe the amount they spend per year exceeds what they would pay in shipping if they didn't use Prime. If I find something I absolutely cannot find anywhere else on Amazon, or it is a lower price than anywhere else even with the shipping, then I will buy it. 

I have saved a lot of money by only paying for the shipping I need, and by waiting a little longer to get my items! 

How do you save money buying online? Does Amazon work well for you right now? Where else do you buy necessities online?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness