2000s Trends That I Would Wear Again

 Ok, I hope I don't make any of you cringe with that title. Here's a secret... I love the 2000s. Not just because it was my childhood, but because there are many things, fashion wise, that I really enjoyed and that fit me very well at the time. If they would come back, I would wear them again and be very happy. I have also included a few home trends in here that I would, and do, still have decorating my home. So sit back and enjoy.

1. Beaded Spaghetti Straps

I had a swimsuit once that was purple with hibiscus flowers on it, and that had transparent purple beads on the straps. I just think they are dainty and add a little bit of sparkle to a casual outfit in a unique way. I think beads and rhinestones on straps are awesome on formal and dressy dresses too! 

 


2. Shell Necklaces

Ok, these are coming back and I love it! When I was growing up I loved anything that had to do with water or the beach. I got shell necklaces for my birthday multiple times, as it is right before the start of summer. I never stopped liking shell jewelry, and have bought cowrie shells and twine to make some of my own.

3. Hibiscus Flowers

Another beach-related, tropical pattern that I liked. I hope these patterns come back in style on swimsuits. I still have a hibiscus beach towel that I got for my birthday from my great grandmother. 

 


4. Low-rise Jeans

I realize they may not be for everyone, but I am a short, small-framed woman. It's just the way I am built. I have found that when jeans zip up too high on me they hug my stomach and give me a stomachache, or they reach my rib cage. For me low-rise jeans provide the right amount of coverage, and I can bend over and touch my toes without any slight chance of a wardrobe malfunction. 

I like the look of emphasizing the shirt and drawing attention away from the butt and hips. I feel like today's styles emphasize said parts, and I like the slim look of the 2000s better. I feel like it fits me better, and the jeans are more comfortable. 

I like the low-rise jeans with lacing up the sides of the legs, and the jeans with rhinestones and sequins on them. I would definitely wear these again. 

5. Sequin Purses

I love sequins and always have. I like glitter, rhinestones, and other things like that. These purses reflect the light so much. In fact I went to the Goodwill and bought one of these purses just to have one again. My first one was turquoise blue when I was in middle school. 

 

6. Square-Pattern Bedding and as a theme in bedrooms

To me this pattern looks very chill, calm and modern. I had a blue comforter with green and purple squares like this when I was 12. I found the same one at Goodwill in August and decided I could make it adult enough, and I bought the set for my guest bedroom. 

 


7. Door/Window Beads

They add color droplets to a window, and they reflect the light! Plus, they look unique in front of a door. I had silver disco beads in my room as a teenager, and now have these dark blue ones hanging in my living room (next to my hefty CD collection!!! 😅)



 8. Conductor Hats 

 I remember wanting to dress like ZoeGirl growing up. Even today, I like some of the fashions they wore. One of the members always wore a conductor hat in their pictures, and in one of their music videos. Dorinda from the Cheetah Girls also wore one, she was my favorite Cheetah Girl. I have one that I found at Walmart, it has nice delicate beading on one side.  

 


9. Rhinestones, sequins, sparkle and glitter on clothes

I had tank tops growing up that had sparkle detail on the collar or top. I also had many nice blouses with either rhinestones, sequins, or small metal sparkle shapes on them. Also, I had several belts like the above that I would definitely wear again. Maybe I'll knit some more and sew sequins on them, in other colors but pink. Like I said before I love sparkle. Please, please come back.

10. Micro braids among long, straight hair

I pulled this off many a time as a kid, and still can now. Long live long, straight hair with endless possibilities. I had hair wraps more than once, too. 

11. Spikey Scrunchies

I love the little reflective tassels on this scrunchie. I remember they were also worn by girl bands, including ShineMK, if I remember correctly.

12. Satin patterned flappy sleeve tops

I didn't like these when they were popular because the sleeves were "too dressy" for me. But today I like the flappy sleeves, provided they aren't poofy ( I still have an aversion to puffed sleeves and probaby always will). There was a girl in the youth group praise band back in the day who wore a bat-wing version of these satin tops, and I would definitely wear a shirt like that as well. Just imagine the above image with flowy short sleeves. I love the long, flowy look on these shirts, and the fact that they are colorful and shiny. I would definitely wear them today in an office setting, and I think they would look great with skinny jeans! 

13. Studded Belts

These have come back a little bit. I went to Target recently and purchased one! Hopefully, with the right adult outfit, I can make it work and not look (too) angsty. After all, I've been on this earth for a quarter of a century. I'm certainly not old, but I'm done being an angsty teen. I want my clothes to still look like me, but a more mature, fun and optimistic me, and I think that can still be done with a studded belt. 

One of my favorite memories of flying and seeing my grandparents during my teenage years that my dad and I laugh at today, but he didn't at the time, was when I insisted on wearing my studded belt to the airport, like I did everywhere else. It was a guarantee for me to set off the metal detector, and my dad would get very frustrated when the family had to take the extra time to wait as I was being patted down by the TSA staff. 

Well, that's all for now, folks. Do you wish trends from the 2000s would come back? If so, what trends?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness