Why I Believe CDs Should Remain

CDs are falling out of fashion and are "lumbering toward the dinosaur boneyard," according to author Donald S. Passman, who wrote a textbook I owned for my music business class in undergrad. It's unfortunate. I love CDs. There are many benefits to CDs that many people do not see, in my opinion. Sure, I love on-demand streaming services, having grown up in the iPod/YouTube generation. But there are so many legitimate reasons why CDs should stay a part of technology, and why it would be a big mistake to throw them out.


First of all, CDs give you access to both a hard copy and a digital file. I love iTunes and Spotify, but in the case of CDs, it is the better deal if you plan on purchasing an entire album. You are getting the music in two different formats for the price of one. CDs are very versatile in that you will always have a hard copy of your music in case your file gets deleted or your stick drive becomes corrupted.

Second of all, CDs allow you to drive with both hands on the wheel without feeling tempted to change the song on your phone or obnoxiously yell "Play so-and-so song by Charlie Artist" into the phone speaker as you drive. CDs are less dangerous in that aspect. There's also no annoying ads between songs.

I believe, while digital is the primary format of music, that there should always be a physical unit on which audio is stored. Why? Because as a composer and as someone who loves recording, I have experienced first-hand problems such as flash sticks being destroyed and losing copious amounts of changes to my Finale files due to an older or malfunctioning computer. I also just think it's a good idea to have multiple copies and formats on hand for my own sanity.

I still shop for CDs at the Goodwill. I found a City On a Hill CD that my mother used to have. In the liner is a picture of a man hammering away in the studio on a dulcimer. I found a Timothy Seaman album, also full of hammered dulcimer music (He's very good. Check out his music!) I want to still go into LifeWay Christian stores and buy CDs. Maybe I'm just adventurous and want to listen to songs I wouldn't have otherwise if I hadn't gotten the CD!




I love CDs. The digital world can grow as much as it wants to and definitely has its benefits, but again, I think there should always be a physical unit to go along with the digital. Don't you agree?

I have 2 large CD shelves that are almost full!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2000s Mall

Polly Esther's Life

Thoughtfulness